In the latest issue of Research/ Penn State, students at Penn State and the University of South Florida report that certain insecticides could make slugs toxic to the insects that eat them. It turns out that slugs (mollusks) are not affected by neonicotinoids (read Roundup), but they become toxic to the beetles that feed on them.
According to John Tooker, associate professor of entomology at Penn State, “Slugs are among the most challenging pests faced by Mid-Atlantic no-till growers. Our research reveals that neonicotinoids can indirectly increase slug damage to crops by poisoning insects that eat slugs.”
Do you ever get the feeling that insecticide, fungicide, and herbicide producers have no idea of what they are doing? I’m pretty sure they don’t care, as long as they can make money selling their poisons.