Sunday, July 20, 2014

"Pro-life" in Jim Thorpe

My canvass list said the husband of the house was Democratic; the wife was Republican.  Just my luck, the woman answered the door.  I introduced myself and started my pitch.  She stopped me with “I always vote Republican because I’m pro-life.  And I don’t vote for women because they almost always support abortion.”

I said, “Well, would you give this flyer to your husband?  She said, “No, I’ll throw it away.  Besides, he always votes the way I tell him.”

Then she said, “And I don’t like same-sex marriage either.  I don’t understand why they are allowed to marry when a majority opposes it.”  I proceeded to give her a mini-lecture on the need to preserve minority rights from majority tyranny and even brought James Madison into the conversation. I don’t think she bought it.

One of the canvassing rules is don’t argue.  Another is don’t take too much time at one house.  As I turned to leave, she said, “That woman who ran for President wasn’t too bad.”

I said, “Do you mean Hillary?”

She said, “Yes, at least she was a citizen.”


I could just scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment