Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Turtle on the road


Every so often something will happen that will break through my cynicism and give me hope.  

Today on the way to Lehighton near the Army Corp headquarters on Pohopoco Drive, I spotted a box turtle crossing the road in the opposite lane.  I pulled over and waved my hand to an on-coming car to slow it down.  The driver centered his car to straddle the turtle, leaving it unharmed.  I then hurried back to take the turtle off the road. 

In the meantime another pickup pulled over next to the turtle and yelled to me, “Are you going to get that?”  I said I was, and he said he had seen the turtle and turned around to move it out of the road.  He said something about my doing my good deed for the day, and I gave him a thumbs up.

I noticed he had his son with him in the passenger seat.  I thought later, that man is teaching his child well.  I feel good about the whole episode.  I’m sure the turtle does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment