Monday, August 18, 2014

Apology to Sen. Rand Paul

One of the lessons of politics that I have to relearn over and over is that your opponent one day might be your ally the next.

In a posting this week I called Rand Paul an idiot for his libertarian attitudes.  I noted that the toxic algae bloom in Lake Erie could not be solved by a hands-off government, but required laws and regulations to prevent phosphates from entering the lake.  Libertarians need to take a lesson in real world politics.

But now I learn that Rand Paul has been critical of the militarization of local police forces.  Some local police have been given helicopters, grenade launchers, and armored personnel carriers.  Material left over from the Iraq war is being distributed to small towns like Ferguson, Missouri.

Sen. Paul has decried this policy.  He is right on this issue.  The Senator is not idiot, and I’m sorry I called him that.


I still differ with the Senator with regard to Lake Erie, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment