Monday, August 11, 2014

Packing at the Carbon County Fair

First, my apologies for not posting last night.  Our daughter Rachael and grandson Gavin were visiting from California, and they wore me out.  We had a great time with them; the canoe ride on Sunday on Beltzville Lake was especially nice—we drifted within 15 feet of a blue heron.

I often wonder what kind of world Gavin will inherit.  On Saturday we all went to the Carbon County Fair to see the animals and ride the rides.  We stopped in at the Democratic booth, which is just across the midway from the Republican booth.  

The Republican booth is amazing.  There’s an elephant that moves, they distribute bags of peanuts, and they have Heffley and Corbett yard signs to give out, and there’s a larger than life poster of Ronald Reagan.

What struck me, however, was that one of their volunteers was packing a handgun in a holster on his back.  Since this was in violation of fair rules (no guns), I thought of turning him in, but the security at the fair is not too impressive, and I didn’t want to start a ruckus and give the guy publicity.

I still wonder what he was protecting himself from.  The 4-H members who were displaying their animals?  The kids who were at the fair for the rides?  The people who came to watch the demolition derby?  The teenagers who were there to flirt?  Funnel cake aficionados?  


Why the Republicans permit this kind of behavior is beyond me.  I know the guy is trying to make some kind of 2nd Amendment statement, but what comes across is the statement, “Look at me, I’m a real dipstick.”

No comments:

Post a Comment