Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The frackers are coming!

I’m not a big fan of fracking.  I don’t like that the natural gas drillers are pumping an unknown chemical stew into the ground; I don’t like the way they are releasing methane, one of the worst of the greenhouse gases, at their drilling sites; I don’t like the way they buy off our governor and our local legislators; I don’t like the gag order they imposed on doctors who treat people with medical problems that result from fracking; and I don’t like that they pay no severance tax in Pennsylvania.

Imagine my dismay when we received a registered letter from a gas company telling us a pipeline to transport natural gas to New Jersey might be built through our farm.  It came today, and, given the fact that this is Pennsylvania, I’m reasonably sure there is nothing we can do about it.


I suppose I could fling myself in front of the bulldozer, but I’m fairly sure they would be allowed to run over me with no penalty.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how long it will be before fracking starts around you. Have they started going to the courthouse looking for records on mineral rights? If that starts look out for real problems. I would bet that there are enough greedy people around that will sign up.

    ReplyDelete