Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Archeological review for the pipeline

Today I was out distributing yard signs, but I assume representatives of Western Land Services, a company hired by the Penn East pipeline people were walking on our farm to check for its archeological value.  They called two days ago and said they were coming today.

They were here earlier this month to see if we had any wetlands.  We don’t, and we don’t have any archeological features of value either.  In all my years of plowing and cultivating and hoeing, I found one arrowhead.  

It is in our interest to have the land checked.  I assume if Western Land Services found something of value, the pipeline might be diverted.  Since the company won't find anything, I am sure it will come right through our fields.


I understand the need for eminent domain.  One landowner can’t be permitted to stand in the way of a highway or park.  What I can’t understand is how eminent domain procedures can be used to benefit a company that is making a profit.  It has no “public interest.”  It is trying to make money for stockholders.  Yet somehow that company can force us to accept a gas pipeline across our land.  Why aren’t the conservative anti-government Republicans complaining about this?  I guess because they believe private companies can do no wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment