Sunday, September 7, 2014

Pro-life voters

On more than one occasion, when canvassing for Democratic candidates, I have encountered voters who tell me that they only vote on one issue—is the candidate “pro-life”?  In the past I have said something like “Thank you for listening to me,” and moved on to the next house.

Not any more.  Next time I will confront them.  I will say, “I think it is interesting that you only pick one aspect of your religion to decide your vote.  What about people who live in poverty and don’t get enough to eat?  What about poor people who are old and denied medical assistance?  What about people who are on death row?  What about kids who are coming across the border fearful for their very lives?”

“Which party do you think will be more helpful in those cases, Democratic or Republican?  If you are going to vote ‘pro-life,’ then you really should be pro-life.”


I know I won’t win any votes for this, but it will give me immense satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment