Sunday, October 5, 2014

Democracy in Afghanistan

I’m not sure we can call Afghanistan a democracy when the two major parties contested less than 60 percent of the legislative seats.  One party, the Republican, did not nominate anyone for 20.4% of the state legislative races; the other party did not nominate anyone in 22.9% of those races.  That means that in 43.3% of the legislative races there was no contest between the two major parties. 

Oh, wait, I’m sorry, I made a big mistake.  

That wasn’t in Afghanistan, that is in the U.S.  Only 56.7% of the state legislative seats up for election this year are contested.  In our own area in Schuylkill County we have a pinhead named Jerry Knowles running uncontested.  

I’m not sure what you call that system, but I’m pretty sure you can’t call it a democracy.


If you are wondering where I got those statistics, they are from the Oct. issue of the Ballot Access News, one of the most accurate sources of political news I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment