Monday, December 1, 2014

Opening Day

When I was a kid, opening day of deer season was a big deal.  Our house usually served as headquarters for “the gang.”  In those days up to 15 men would conduct “drives.”  One group would stand quietly in a line, while the other group walked through the woods whistling and shouting, acting as beaters to drive the deer toward the standers.  You had to know what you were doing; otherwise someone would get shot.

I went out a few times, but I never liked it.  First of all, it involved getting up at 4:30.  You put on heavy clothes, and you had to go out into the cold woods while it was still dark.  I was also afraid I’d shoot somebody, so I never did fire, although I actually did see a deer one time.

Nonetheless, I heartily approve of deer hunting, and I wish there were more hunters.  We have way too many deer; they are destroying the habitat of other animals; and they are devastating quite a few farms.  They eat my vegetables.

They are also stupid animals, prone to run across the road in front of cars.  I know because I hit one on 209.  They have no natural enemies, and some people in the developments actually feed them.


So good luck to all the deer hunters.  And if you are reading this and you have bagged a deer, feel free to drop off some venison.  

2 comments:

  1. Having hunted for many years I gave up on it. Although, I do enjoy venison steaks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to find a successful hunter who doesn't like deer meat.

    ReplyDelete