Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Eva-Maria Greene

My mother had 14 brothers and sisters.  All but one lived to adulthood.  That meant I had a pile of aunts and uncles when I was growing up.  Tomorrow we are holding a funeral service for the last of that generation, Eva-Maria Greene.  Eva was what referred to as a “war bride.”  My Uncle Clarence, who fought in North Africa, France, and Germany, married her after the war.

Eva saw terrible things during World War II.  Her hometown of Kassel was bombed into ruins.  She saw dead bodies rotting in the street and spent nights huddled in air raid shelters.  After the war came near starvation. 

Soon after she arrived in America, Eva obtained her American citizenship and immediately registered to vote.  She told me how she loved being able to vote.  When you grew up as a teenager in Nazi Germany, you appreciated just how wonderful the right to vote really is.

She registered as a Democrat and served as a Democratic Committeewoman for Towamensing Township.  We often discussed politics and usually agreed.  I remember how happy she was when Obama won.  


After she could no longer drive, her main concern was that she couldn’t get to the Palmerton library, and she loved it when I was able to drop her off there for an hour or two of browsing.  Her last few years were difficult, but she never lost her interest in current events or politics.  We should have more citizens like her.

2 comments:

  1. My condolences to you and family,

    She sounded like a wonderful woman who realized the importance of her citizen duties. I hope that she inspired other people to do likewise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She spoke to students at Towamensing Elementary School about some of her experiences. I hope some of those students took her words to heart.

    ReplyDelete