Thursday, February 5, 2015

NIMBY

A number of people have told me that I oppose the PennEast pipeline because it goes through our farm, creating a potential danger, lowering property values, and decreasing crop production.  They say my opposition is simply a case of “not in my back yard.”

Let me explain something.  I oppose the Keystone XL pipeline.  I don’t own any land or farms along its route.  I am in no danger if it explodes.  My fields won’t be affected.  

I oppose Keystone and PennEast pipelines because they are carrying petroleum products that are produced from processes that are incredibly harmful to the environment and increase global climate change.  I oppose those pipelines because the damage they do is external to the cost of the product, to be borne by the taxpayers.  I oppose them because they are not in the public interest, but rather in the interests of petroleum companies and their stockholders.


If the PennEast pipeline is moved five miles east or west from our farm, it won’t be in my back yard, but it will be in someone else’s, and I will continue to oppose it.  NIABBY!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously those people don't know you at all. You should tell them to read your blog. If they took the time to read your previous posts they should come to the realization that you are an environmentalist at heart. Then again some people just choose not to be enlightened.

    ReplyDelete