Sunday, May 10, 2015

Eating our way across the south

I've already told you about the barbeque restaurant with the blue grass band in Marion, Virginia.  The next day we ate lunch at a "Belgian southern bistro" in Lenoir, Tennessee.  The proprietor was Flemish, and the "bistro" featured Belgian beers.  On the 8th we stopped in Bessemer, Alabama, at a Mexican butcher shop with a side room restaurant.  The patrons included three Bessemer fire fighters and some Mexican gardeners.

On Friday we had a late supper at a small takeout fish fry place in Beaumont, Texas.  The establishment was run by Vietnamese, and the clientele was black, except for us.  Linda had the giant shrimp and I had three boudin balls, which are some kind of deep fried balls composed of rice and pork parts.  I don't recommend them.

Yesterday Linda's brother-in-law took us to Nifa's, a locally famous Mexican restaurant in the 5th Ward of Houston.  My goodness, that was wonderful.

Today we started back.  We stopped for lunch at Cajun Tales, a restaurant in Welsh, Louisiana. I had fried catfish.

I don't care for much of the politics down here, but the food is amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment