Friday, May 22, 2015

The President's Twitter account

The editor of the Independent Gazette, a fairly new Carbon County tabloid, asked me why I didn’t permit anonymous postings on this blog.  His question was, “Don’t you want a dialog?”  I wouldn’t mind a dialog, as those of you who post comments well know.  What I will not accept is anonymous postings.

President Obama recently opened a Twitter account, and the problem with anonymous comments quickly became apparent, with racist tweets involving exhortations that the President should kill himself, pictures of the President with his head in a noose, profanity, and comparisons of the President to a monkey.

If you ever wondered if much of the opposition to the President is racially motivated, I think you have your answer.  If you ever wondered if racism runs deep in this country, I think you have your answer.  And if you want to know what is wrong with the anonymity so prevalent on the internet, there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment