Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Woodrow Wilson, racist

We’ve only had one president who was a political science professor, and, I’m sorry to say, he’s always been somewhat of an embarrassment to me.  His opposition to female suffrage was uncalled for; I find his moral righteousness irritating; and his inflexibility doomed one of his better ideas–the League of Nations.  

Now some Princeton students would like his name removed from various university facilities.  Fine by me.  Admittedly, Wilson was a Democrat at a time when Democrats were the party of the “Solid South,” but that does not explain why he had to lead the effort to segregate the Federal workforce and relegate blacks in government service to menial positions.


I recognize that in many areas Wilson was a real progressive.  I can applaud that.  On the other hand, I don’t think we should gloss over his shortcomings which were harmful to millions of African Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment