Saturday, February 6, 2016

Franklin Ave. canvass

Today Carol and I canvassed Franklin Avenue in Palmerton.  We were collecting signatures on nominating petitions for Democratic candidates for both federal and state office.  

Canvassing is one of the political activities I enjoy the most.  You never know what you will encounter.  For example, one guy who was sitting on his porch smoking said he didn’t get involved in politics, but then he thanked us for what we were doing.

One woman opened the door slightly, then closed it in our faces.  Maybe she thought we were religious proselytizers.

A Bernie Sanders supporter chatted with us at length, and bemoaned the fact that so many of her neighbors were conservative.

Three people invited us in while they signed the petitions.  It was a cold morning, and I wasn’t wearing gloves.  Bless those people.


Most of the people were polite, signed the petitions, and wished us well.  I think one of the reasons I like to canvass is that it reaffirms my faith in democracy.  

1 comment: