Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Kitty Genovese

Kitty Genovese did not die in vain, but she did die tragically.  Thirty-eight people heard her cries for help, and no one called the police.  “I didn’t want to get involved,” was the usual refrain.  Her killer stabbed her at least 14 times and raped her in a crime that took at least half an hour to complete.  Ms. Genovese, 28, died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.  

As a New York Times article noted today, news of the attack “was widely disseminated and took on a life of its own, shocking the national conscience and starting an avalanche of academic studies, investigations, films, books, even a theatrical production and a musical.”  There was a name for the reluctance of bystanders to get involved--“the Ketty Genovese syndrome.”

I remember a DJ from Buffalo rock station who urged listeners to always carry a dime so they could go to a pay phone and call police if they saw a crime being committed.  I can remember at least two occasions where I butted in on situations because I thought I’m not going to stand by in a Kitty Genovese situation.  


Yesterday Ms.Genovese’s murderer died in prison died at age 81.  I wish there was a hell in which he could rot.  The satisfaction I take is knowing that Ms. Genovese taught millions of Americans a lesson:  When you see something evil, do not stand by.  Do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment