Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The last great American hero?

I’ve been known to rant about the overuse of the word “hero.”  It seems that every cop, fire fighter, and first-responder is labeled  a “hero.”  You return a wallet–hero.  You stop to help fix a flat tire–hero.  Now the term means very little.

Then I read in the Times News about the Jensens of Wapwallopen and Nescopeck, who call themselves four generations of Christian conservatives for Cruz.  

The youngest family member is four.  His father said, “I want my little guy to get a look at maybe our last great American hero.”

I forget.  Did Cruz rush into a burning building to save a child?  Did he single-handedly fight off a platoon of Viet Cong?  Oh, now I remember.  He shut down the federal government and cost taxpayers billions.  


Perhaps we ought to erect a statue to him in the Weissport Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment